What might help you to learn German?
As a native speaker I hardly watch shows to learn German, but my language partner does. So here is some additional material to study German, which my language partner found quite useful.
- extr@ is a language education television series, which is very similar to the TV-show "Friends". It was produced in 2002 by "Channel 4 Learning" and wants to help students attending a middle school or high school language class in German. While there are 30 episodes in English, there are unfortunately just 13 episodes in German. However, it is still fun to watch.
Some advises my language partner would like to share with you
- find a language partner and talk/practice as much as possible - make use of any opportunity to talk to people: for example when you go shopping, in restaurant.
- There are quite a lot of old and lonely people in Germany, who have much time at hand and hardly speak to other people anymore. They are usually very pleased when they have an opportunity to talk with someone. Furthermore, they can not speak English and you can not opt out to English.
- you can also practice your reading and pronounciatian skills by reading any text from daily life (for example from newspaper, magazine...) out loud alone at home
- You can watch TV in German even if in the beginning you can not understand anything at all. After some (frustrating) time, you will find it is really helpful, especially when you choose a stupid TV-serial/soap opera (the worst TV-shows can help you a lot). In this way you can watch the same actors doing their poor acting again and again. You will also notice that many situations and many vocab starts to repeat again and again and again and again... Cookery shows work also quite well.
- vocab: do not learn from vocab lists, but out of sentences (in context)
- watch a german movie with german subtitles again and again
- do not learn the german classics like Goethe, Schiller... the german language has evolved a lot
- articles: sorry, no advise here, You just have to remember/repeat them. It becomes more and more important when you progress.
- At many universities students can take part in German lessons free of charge. Ask your student representation when they take place.
useful webpages with video